Incarnate Word Academy
Founded in 1935, Incarnate Word Academy is a Premier Independent Catholic School serving a diverse group of young learners from Preschool to 8th grade. The Sisters of the Incarnate Word built this school with a commitment to delivering a superior education in an environment rooted in faith with the highest ethical values and conduct. Nationally recognized, IWA has grown to become a Model of Educational Excellence. We strive to inspire and support each student to achieve academic and personal success through advanced classes, enriching clubs and team athletics. Our students learn to think for themselves, practice their faith, exercise responsibility and become leaders in a safe, dynamic environment. They commit themselves to their classes and develop a strong work ethic, which prepares them for the next stage of their academic life. With our strong community of families, faculty, staff and Sisters, we guide our students to engage the world with faith, compassion, courage and commitment. Our goal is for our students to become life-long learners, reach their fullest potential, be prepared for the future and be engaged members of our Catholic community and world.
The enrollment for the 2018-19 school year in grades PreK - 8 is 395.
The school enjoys the daily presence of nine sisters. Sr. Rosemarie Burke, SIW, is the spiritual leader and campus minister of our school. Many of the retired sisters keep a prayer ministry for the students and families of IWA. All of the Sisters inspire and enhance the peaceful, Christian environment of our school.
As campus minister, Sr. Rosemarie creates an environment which encourages and guides all its members to contribute to the Catholic identity of Incarnate Word Academy and the formation of a faith community which responds to the spiritual needs of the students, faculty, staff and parents. In collaboration with the Sisters of the Incarnate Word, our principals, faculty and staff, our parents, students, and local priests, Sr. Rosemarie brings to life an environment rich in the school’s mission, spiritual development, prayer and sacramental experiences, and preparation of leaders for service in the Church and society.
Campus Ministry Vision
Forming a Faith Community by facilitating an atmosphere of Christian hospitality where all feel welcome, based on Catholic faith traditions and rituals as well as acknowledging and celebrating diversity within the school community.
Spiritual Development with opportunities for our IWA community to deepen their relationship with Christ including a retreat program for students, faculty, parents, and staff. Prayer and Sacramental experiences which offer a variety of prayer experiences including personal, communal, and seasonal.
Campus Ministry in Action
The Mission statement which IWA students recite every day from memory reminds each one that they are committed to living the gospel values in word and deed. They are nurtured spiritually each day and throughout the school year by following these practices:
• Daily prayer at the beginning and end of the day
• Religion lessons taught daily from Preschool through 8th grade
• Theology teacher for grades (6-8)
• Faith-based environment with images and pictures in each classroom and throughout the building
• Monthly School Masses
• Sacrament of Reconciliation during Advent and Lent
• Blessing of Throats in February
• Each grade is involved in a service project during Lent
• Eucharistic Adoration once a year
• Marian Devotions with the Crowning of the image of Mary
• Fr. Haren teaches the eighth grade students monthly
• Annual school Retreat Day
Thanks to a grant from the Diocese of Cleveland Catholic Charities Foundation, Incarnate Word Academy has a top-of-the line security surveillance system. There are 20 surveillance cameras around campus which are constantly monitored by school personnel while the students are in school. All doors are locked and there is only one entrance to the school where all visitors must be "buzzed" in and check in with the Security Office. All faculty and staff wear photo IDs and all visitors must have a visitor's badge. Safety drills are run monthly.
All employees and volunteers who have contact with students undergo thorough screening, including background checks through the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation & Identification (BCI&I). For complete information on screening policies, see the revised Policy for the Safety of Children in Matters of Sexual Abuse, section 1.2 (p. 3).
History of Incarnate Word Academy
It was Mother’s Day – May 8, 1927 – when seven Irish-born Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament first arrived in Cleveland.
They had joined an order with its earliest roots in France, where Jeanne Chézard de Matel founded the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament in 1625. After expanding throughout France, the Sisters followed God’s call across the ocean to Texas in 1853, later expanding their mission work into Mexico. But facing religious persecution in Mexico in the early 1900s, the order was forced to return to the U.S. to seek other ministries.
In 1926, the Bishop of Omaha, Nebraska, made an appeal for teachers, and these seven Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament responded: Sister Mary Columba Byrnes, Sister Mary Thecla Sullivan, Sister Mary Baptist Fitzgibbon, Sister Mary Brendan Fitzgibbon, Sister Mary Thomas O’Herlihy, Sister Mary Gabriel O’Regan and Sister Mary Raphael O’Connell. Their appointment was short-lived, however, as Nebraska allowed only American citizens to teach in their schools.
Nebraska’s loss was Cleveland’s gain. Bishop Joseph T. Schrembs of the Diocese of Cleveland welcomed these seven Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament in 1927, and soon helped them purchase a tract of 10 acres in Parma Heights, formerly the Carl Miller family farm. There they built their home, welcomed new members, and set to work serving the needs of local parishes, schools and the Greater Cleveland community.
On September 11, 1935, a new school opened its doors to 33 eager young students. It was a 10-classroom building on 10 acres of rural property in the then-nascent community of Parma Heights. It was named Incarnate Word Academy, and its arrival was the culmination of many years of effort and setback by the group of devoted women who made it possible. That spirit of determination and selflessness they embodied has guided the education of students at Incarnate Word Academy students for over 75 years. We live by the motto “To Learn, Love and Serve.” This is our school’s story.
Tragedy struck this young congregation on January 26, 1935, when a fire destroyed the Sisters’ home. They sought shelter with other orders in the Cleveland area. Yet, rather than deter the Sisters from their ministries, this tragedy spurred them on with the same resolve as Sisters who had faced religious persecution in Mexico.
The local community rallied around the Sisters, forming the Incarnate Word Guild as a means for lay people to support their mission. With the Guild’s support, the Sisters began to rebuild immediately, this time with the goal of creating a school on their Parma Heights property.
Just eight short months after the fire, the restored structure re-opened as Incarnate Word Academy, welcoming 33 students, with six teaching Sisters and Sr. Bernard as the first principal.
In those first years, the Sisters awoke as early as 4:00 a.m. to travel by bus to the school from their temporary home 20 miles away on Cleveland’s St. Clair Avenue.
Enrollment at Incarnate Word Academy steadily grew as the community witnessed the Sisters’ commitment to the principles of academic excellence, faith, service to others, and formation in the values of Jesus, the Incarnate Word.
In the late 1930s, an anonymous donor contributed the funds to have the Queen of the Holy Rosary Shrine built on the Sisters’ property, a landmark that attracted large crowds for Sunday-afternoon pilgrimages.
In 1940, the Sisters were finally able to construct a new home on their property, including a wing for boarding students. This building was later known a Marian Hall.
Incarnate Word Academy Years of Growth
The post-war baby boom of the 1950's and 1960's brought expansive growth to Parma Heights and Cleveland’s other Western suburbs, and, as a result, to Incarnate Word Academy.
New Sisters joined the congregation, school enrollment swelled to nearly 700, and soon IWA’s buildings were bursting at the seams. The building that today houses Incarnate Word Academy and the Sisters’ home was constructed in 1952, and expanded in 1960 when IWA celebrated its 25th anniversary.
The affectionately named "Red Barn", a remnant of the property’s farming past which had been renovated to house school events, athletics and meetings, was razed in 1967 and replaced with the larger and more modern Saint Joseph Hall.
Much changed in those growth years, but what didn’t change was Incarnate Word Academy's commitment to strong Catholic values and the highest standards of academic excellence. As the community grew, IWA’s reputation as a place of excellence brought parents from an ever-widening radius to enroll their children.
By the 1980's, registration for coveted spots in IWA’s kindergarten brought parents to the parking lot at 10:00 p.m. the night before registration day, where they camped out all night to secure their place in line.
Incarnate Word Academy set a standard of continuously enriching its curriculum early on, Whether in academics, extracurricular activities, faith formation or and service opportunities. Foreign languages, advanced math programs, choir, orchestra, and involvement in academic competitions and science fairs were added. A second "oor floor was added for junior high grades, along with a new science lab, computer center and media center. An Extended Day program was introduced to serve working parents with after-school care for their children.
The 1980s brought to IWA new foreign languages, advanced math programs, choir, orchestra, and involvement in academic competitions and science fairs. A second floor was added for junior high grades, along with a new science lab, computer center and media center. An Extended Day program was introduced to serve working parents with after-school care for their children.
Changes came for the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament, as well. By 1979, they could no longer keep their growing school fully staffed by Sisters alone, so they hired Incarnate Word Academy's first lay teacher, Mrs. Catherine Abraham. Many more lay teachers gradually followed.